Thursday, July 22, 2021

Bad Decisions (I'm Decaffeinating, again!)

I love coffee. But many a night, I found myself saying "I shouldn't have had that second cup!"

The most horrible thing about our bad decisions is, we were present when we made them. And that is haunting. (And Palpitating!) Sometimes they cannot be undone, but we are always redeemable from it. (Ehem, Gaviscon!) It takes God's grace to get us out of it, and right decisions to keep us away from it. When we fall into the trap of always spiritualizing things, we refuse to take  responsibility of our participation in our bad decisions. And so, the cycle continues. 

As I deal with work backlogs, for example,  I am confronted with the fact of my chronic procrastination. I get flashbacks of the many times I wasted an opportunity  to work. And then I begin to think about all the other parts of my life that are leaking with inefficiency and chaos. But, if I refuse to acknowledge these things, or say it was someone else's  job, or worse, blame this on the pandemic, I have missed an opportunity for growth. Spiritually and Professionally. If I say the devil is making me procrastinate, he will laugh!

When we experience abuses, for example, we can not say no one was responsible for it. While God does make something good out of what others meant for evil, it does not justify  the evil. Our spiritual understanding saves us from going crazy over its effects; insisting on human responsibility puts a stop to the abuse. Our flawed understanding of  man's volition and God's will most times keeps us from making the necessary decisions that will change our lives. Or that of others. But indecision is ALSO a decision. 

Treading into this new decade of adulthood, I welcome these pauses where I get the opportunities to learn from bad decisions either of myself or others. And learning is measured by the outcome.  I hope someday when I come back to this post and put myself against the scale, I would find that I attended lesser bad decisions. 


Let's start by getting off coffee. Shocking, I know! 

Acid reflux: 

Gaviscon: 

Kapehan: Luh! 

💛

#FortyForward

1 comment:

  1. We need an Object outside of ourselves: to look to Christ in everything.

    ReplyDelete