Thursday, July 30, 2020

Slow Growth is Still Growth



While I do not undermine the effects of the virus to every aspect of society, I am thankful for how it has created an opportunity for me to discover what really matters to me, test out my own limits in different areas, and build habits that hopefully, will be beneficial to me moving forward. I have mined a wealth of encouragement from doing something regularly and getting results. Albeit not 'astounding', the effects of little changes in our lifestyle do make a difference.

We can no longer leave it to 'nature' to shape us. The world has 'genetically modified' everything. Our body, mind and spirit has to be intentionally nurtured in order for us to relish the life God has given us. And I believe, it is never too late to make that first step to doing something about what you would want to change. 

I learned from someone that it is systems that bring results. Goals may help but oftentimes, when we don't reach them, we become frustrated. However,  when we create systems in whatever aspect of our lives, we see our progress little by little.
Those who know me can testify that consistency is not my strength. Variation is. But, as I unfold the wonder of creating systems, I found out I don't have to beat myself about being inconsistent. 

I've been  exercising  regularly since March. This is my longest streak so far. Years ago, I had episodes of running that went for about a month, followed by a thousand excuses. Hahaha! 

I am struggling to count my calories. It helped me shed some weight before, so I'm trying to incorporate that in my eating habits again. 

I tried eating mostly plant-based meals for 3 weeks. "Mostly" because what's a pizza without cheese, right? But I learned a dozen recipes that made me love eating plant based food. 

I have practiced sifting my thoughts. Philippians 4:8 on repeat. 

Have I mastered these habits? Definitely not! 

Some days  I excitedly play a 30-minute work-out on Youtube but when the first sweat breaks, I decide I'm good for the day! Hahaha! But I happily show  the single 'dent' in my abs that I believe is the result of my standing abs exercises. Take note, SINGLE! I had to force my sister to 'see'it. Yes I still have tummy rolls. :D 

I overeat and credit it to cheat days. Sometimes cheat dayssss.

For breakfast this morning I ate hotdogs and eggs. First processed meats after almost a month of clean eating. 

There are talks and rumors, fears and anxious thoughts that surround me everyday. Sometimes, I slip a crisp "What the FUDGE?!" I still want to break dishes sometimes when I wash them.

But I have learned to be kinder to myself because that is how God shows his love to me every single day. When the sun rises, I know I have another shot at becoming better than yesterday. When it comes to self-transformation (mind, body and spirit), you can never run out of chances. For.As.Long.As.You. Live. Other people may give up on you, but you owe it to yourself, and to your Creator most importantly, to keep growing ---because everything we need for growth is right inside of us. 

Get up. Wiggle if you must, but get up! 

Do something productive. Stop if you must, but never go three days without doing it.(this has been life changing for me). Whether it is exercising, calorie counting, eating right, get back on track. You can. 

Whatever works for you, do it! 

Don't forget to enjoy watching yourself grow. Slow growth is still growth. :) 

My Meatless Meals 




Add caption

1 comment:

  1. Consistency is never a strong point; just have to keep going! And keep thinking of Philippians 4: 8: a great spiritual exercise: https://dcbverse.blogspot.com/2018/04/esther.html

    ReplyDelete