Thursday, January 10, 2013

A 'Mary' Moment


Hopeful  Anticipation.  Two words that met my 2013.  

Over the holidays, I pondered upon how Mary, the mother of Jesus, went about everything – from hearing Gabriel’s news to running off to Egypt to escape from Herod. In all the accounts of the birth of Jesus, Mary didn’t say much except when she asked the angel how it was all going to take place -
Luke 1:34  “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”.
That, her reply to the angel, and her beautiful short song. Very few speaking lines for a very important character, I must say!

If I was Mary, half of Luke would only  be just about my argument with the angel. No wonder Mary was called “highly favored”. She had a quiet spirit full of faith. She received the task without much question. She believed the ‘Word’ even if it was beyond her imagination.

On January 1st, I left my parents house (despite my mother’s insistent declaration that the holidays are NOT YET over) and went back to my ‘cocoon’. For many years now, it has become my practice to commit the first day of each year to prayer and fasting. It is amazing how much my wonder of God grows when I list down what He has done for me the past year. This year, I made a list again that led me to a “Mary Moment” –
 Luke 2:19 “ …Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.”
 I don’t know what is ahead of me in 2013, the same way that I never guessed what God  did for me in 2012. But, as my list testified, He has something for me that is way beyond my imagination. I pray for a quiet spirit of faith as I wait in hopeful anticipation.

Luke 1:38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.”
 
Picking up one of the kids during our Christmas Outreach Party
  Have A Hopeful 2013!!! 

1 comment:

  1. So in Acts 1, when Jesus had ascended, Mary was still there, to be part of the church that would be for Him on this earth.

    ReplyDelete