Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Stories Will Never Be Silenced

You made me flee Egypt
In search of a promise
Away from slavery
Away from fear
But with me now are tears

Away from comfort
Living with doubt
Walking on scorching drought

The army behind me
The sea before me
Oh, may the fires consume me

But then you said
“Stretch out your hand”
Since then
My stories never go silent

 ....

You gave me words
When my lips quivered
Away from innocence
Embracing harbour
You coated me with favour

Away from suppression
But living with depression
My dreams in suspension

My wounds behind me
The famine before me
Oh, may the cries deafen me

But then you said
“Stretch out your hand”
Since then
My stories never go silent 

....

You called me by name
I followed you
Away from hunger
Away from danger
Each moment in sweetness savoured

Away from the shore
Into the sea
The waves are suddenly bigger than me

The waters behind me
The storm before me
Oh, may the wind take me

But then
YOU stretched out your hand
And so
My stories will never be silenced.

SOURCE

 Written: August 19, 2009, Venus Speaks

2 comments:

  1. Well put.
    It's quite a theme in the Scripture, stretching out the hand. Isaiah says, "I have stretched out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, who walk in a way not good, after their own thoughts ..." That's the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete